Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Irrelevance

When did I cross over the line of not just adulthood, but "older" adulthood?  It has happened so subtly that I didn't catch it at first. I sat next to a young, beautiful girl the last several days at a seminar away from my home town.  She was easy to talk to and we chatted about common interests, but then later when I asked her what she was doing for dinner that night after the meeting she said that she had family in the area and she thought they were coming for her to take her out.  The next day, however, she told me that her and another one of the ladies (young girls) in the room had gone to the mall together and out to eat as well.  I couldn't help but be somewhat hurt being as I ended up going out by myself.  I don't mean upset in that I wasn't included, in the fact that I felt irrelevant.  as in, I'm too "old."  She didn't say that, but I'm sure that's what she thought although not to my ill.. just a fact of life.  I went back to my hotel room the night before last and took a good look at myself in the mirror.  Today,  I heard her telling someone that she had graduated from high school in 2008 and I was taken back.  She was a baby.  I have one child older and one child her age exactly, so yes, I could be her mother... more than twice her age! I had thought her to be maybe 8 years or so older than she actually was... and I didn't feel so bad after all.   Because I realized, I wasn't irrelevant, I was just uncool... *giggle*


No comments: