Thursday, May 26, 2011

Chickens and Things

Okay, I know many of you will think I'm off my rocker.  Not that I haven't done strange things in my past...  Recently I have been lurking and getting involved in a chicken message forum/board.  Yes, you read that right.. for CHICKENS.  It started back in October when someone gave us 10 chickens and a rooster.  I had never in my life been around chickens and didn't know a thing about them.  I started lurking at this message board just for general information.  Then I took a "break" for several months and now in the last month have been back strong.  It's strange the things you do and get interested in when all your children leave home!  We ended up butchering 5 roosters out of the batch that we had given to us.  The remaining 6 hens (as I came to know later) are 2 Delaware's, 3 Dominique's and 1 Rhode Island Red.  Our roo (rooster) we had at that time, I'm not sure what he was, but he was beautiful.  He has since died and our new roo (in the picture) I believe is a mixed Easter Egger/Game fowl.  Isn't he beautiful too?  We built a little hen house with 8 boxes and a small run.  We get anywhere from 2 to 6 eggs each day.  I have become crazy about these little "ladies" as I have taken to calling them.   They now all have names; Petunia, Gertrude, Hattie, Opal, Pearl and Rose.. with the roo being Tobias.  I know, I know... who would have thought?  But, I'm really enjoying learning about something new.  Petunia has already figured out that if I am working in the garden she is probably going to get a juicy grub or worm... she will march up and down the fence waiting for me to bring her something~ too cute!

1 comment:

Janet Rose said...

I dream of a day when I could have some chicks to raise into chickenhood! What fun it must be...and I LOVE their names! Your roo is a beauty!