Sunday, March 13, 2011

Green with Envy

Something for nothing.

Have you noticed that these days when you go to a county fair that everyone that draws, shows animals, cooks or paints.. receives ribbons for their efforts?  Whether you have won anything or not.  I heard a speaker last weekend at the Extraordinary Women's Conference in Tulsa. She talked about how "In her day" awards were only given for first through third place... after that, no one else was awarded.  That started me thinking...  Today, things are different.  So as to "not leave anyone out" ribbons are given out to everyone.  So that, even if they didnt' win a position, they still receive a ribbon. How is that fair?  I believe that awards should only be given to those that win.  When we are taught we get a reward regardless of the quality of  our work~ we are sadly doing ourselves a diservice.  Today's world is tough.  We will walk away from many things in life without reward~ even when we have done our absolute best. 

Have you noticed, first place is blue, second is red and third is white, fourth is pink, and fifth is yellow..... but participant is GREEN?? I had to giggle when my husband said "hmm... greeeeeen.... green with envy?"  I believe, he has a point!

1 comment:

Lea also known as "CiCi" said...

Peggy, that was awesome, I couldn't agree with you more. I just read your entry out loud to my husband and he loved it. It is tough world and the sooner we learn that, the better off we will be and giving undeserving awards is not the way. Blessings to you for a wonderful week!