Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Hard Lesson

Today I asked a question of someone... thinking I wanted to know the answer... but turns out, I didn't.  The answer hurt.  In fact, their answer made two emotions flash across my mind~ anger and tears.  As this person started spilling out their answer I was already reprimanding myself for asking.  Why did I do that?  Why does that answer cut so deep? As I sat listening I deeply struggled not to show any tears or any wrong emotion.  Inside I was dying.  Yet, with reflection I believe that God had me ask the question....  No, not for me... it's not about me!... but for that person.  And, like the Grinch on the show The Grinch who Stole Christmas, I believe my heart grew as I realized... that it's not without pain that we grow, but it's because of pain that we grow.  

1 comment:

They call me "Deb" said...

Hi Peggy,
I've asked a number of those questions and discovered the answer hurt. Still does sometimes when dealing with specific family members.
But I know that I know that God is in both the question and the answer, and that His plan is higher than we can imagine and always for our good.
You're so right, it's not without pain that we grow, it's because of the pain.
Hugs my friend,
Deb