Friday, January 28, 2011
* 1 1/4 cups dried kidney beans, cooked (white beans may be substituted)
* 5 oz. bacon, diced
* 3 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 2 cloves garlic, chopped
* 2 potatoes, diced
* 2 carrots, diced
* 1 tablespoon tomato paste
* 3 quarts beef stock (you may use less stock and replace with water)
* 3 cups thinly sliced cabbage
* 1 cup macaroni or any small pasta
* Grated Parmesan cheese
* salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook beans per package instructions.
2. Place the olive oil and bacon in a large pot over medium heat and brown slightly (about 3 minutes).
3. Add the onion, carrots, potatoes, celery and garlic, reduce the heat and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Add the tomato paste and cook for 3 minutes.
5. Add the stock and simmer for 10 minutes, skimming any fat from the surface.
6. Add the cabbage and simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Add the beans and simmer for 10 minutes.
8. Add the pasta and cook for another 15 minutes, or until soft.
9. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed.
10. Dish out into soup bowls, sprinkled the top with grated Parmesan and serve hot.