Tuesday, January 4, 2011

House Rules ~ Aspergers

Have any of you read the book House Rules by Jodi Picoult?  I love her novels and this one is exceptional.  Of course, this one means a lot to me personally.  I see so much of my middle son in the character of Jacob in this book.  At times I tear up with Emma,(Jacob's mother) who is going through her life with a child that has Asperger's Syndrome.  While my middle son has many of the AS traits, he is not near as severe as the teen-aged boy portrayed in this story.

Does anyone out there have any children with AS?

HOUSE RULES is about Jacob Hunt, a teenage boy with Asperger’s Syndrome. He’s hopeless at reading social cues or expressing himself well to others, and like many kids with AS, Jacob has a special focus on one subject – in his case, forensic analysis. He’s always showing up at crime scenes, thanks to the police scanner he keeps in his room, and telling the cops what they need to do…and he’s usually right. But then one day his tutor is found dead, and the police come to question him. All of the hallmark behaviors of Asperger’s – not looking someone in the eye, stimulatory tics and twitches, inappropriate affect – can look a heck of a lot like guilt to law enforcement personnel -- and suddenly, Jacob finds himself accused of murder. HOUSE RULES looks at what it means to be different in our society, how autism affects a family, and how our legal system works well for people who communicate a certain way – but lousy for those who don’t.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peggy, firstly, I just came across your blog a few days ago; Just a few months ago I read House Rules; my daughter had finished it and lent it to me; she has a boy, 11 1/2 years old with Aspergers. My oldest grandchild. He is high functioning, most people who arent aware and meet him, dont realize there is any problem. He's the most caring, loving child you could want! Mothers of these children have to fight and be an advocate for their children. I wish her and the family best of luck.
Cheryl from Canada

cherylo said...

I meant to say I wish Emma and the family best of luck.....

Anonymous said...

I meant to say I wish "Emma" and the family best of luck...

Peggy Arteberry said...

Cheryl~ Thank you for stopping back by! I bet that your grandsonn is a wonderful young man, as is my son. You are very right about being loving and caring. Please stop by again in the future~

Warren Baldwin said...

Looks like a good book.

Linked here frm the post "Blogging God and Me." You made some good comments. wb

Laura said...

I remember when this book came out and thought it looked very interesting. I know how heartbreaking this disorder can be for parents and hold them in special prayer.

Thanks for sharing about this book, Peggy!

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

well that sounds like a good book and one that i would enjoy.

i wasn't real sure was Asperger's was and so thanks for explaining that.

love to you Peggy!

Debbie said...

Thank you for sharing about the book, Peggy. My youngest was diagnosed with PDDNOS . . .like a high functioning autism. Others can tell there is something up with her, but just don't know what! ha! She too can be just the sweetest. I laughed with a friend, as she agreed I probably had the only happy teenager. :)
I have a friend with an adopted AS son. House Rules might be a good book for me to get her!
God bless you, your family, and all the ways you are created for His glory!