Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Bullying

Have you ever been bullied?  I remember running to the bus... being scared I was going to be beat up.  I had been told that if I didn't make it to the bus before she got out of class I was going to be in trouble.  I ran so fast.... I was scared to death and my heart was beating hard in my chest.  What did I do?  Merely take up for my younger sister who at the park picked up this girls younger brothers toy car.  She wasn't even going to take it, she just picked it up.  I remember the girl (my age) running over to her telling her that she wasn't going to steal her brothers car.  I told her (very nicely) that my sister was not intending on taking the car at all, just looking at it.  That's when the threat came.  She said that I had better watch myself at school because she'd be looking for me.  For weeks I literally feared being on recess or going to the bus.  Of course the girl never probably intended to anything... just scare me.  But, that alone was enough. This incident was in the 6th grade and I haven't ever forgotten it.

It sounds so simple and silly.  And, really it was.  Today schools take so much flack from kids and never discipline them.  Bullying is at an all time high and unless you are the popular kids parent, you are not listened to by faculty and/or staff.

Recently our high school had a parent go to the school at the end of the day.  This person had been many times before to talk to staff about their child being bullied.  Nothing was ever done.  The parent decided to do something himself.  Although I don't agree with what he did... I understand it.  That person stood outside the doors of the school at the end of the day and told every high school aged person that passed by that if they messed with their child anymore, they would suffer horrible consequences.  Do I blame him?  No...  Not when the school does nothing for the underdog.  I'm not talking about teachers pets, or those that are well liked, smart, cute or pretty, or who's families are prominent in the community... I'm talking about the average "Joe."  When are they cared for? 

I do not condone violence, but I do understand the frustration.  My middle son had very high functioning ADHD/Aspergers all of his childhood.  He was ignored and bullied a lot in his elementary years.  In high school when he finally fought back, he was considered unruly and rude.  Shame on the school for making him defend himself.. and then turning around on him when he did.

If you see someone bullying, try to put a stop to it.  Bullies turn into work-place bullies when they get older and spouses who bully and friends who bully....... 

No one should go to school or to work in fear each day.

Psalm 116:6  The LORD protects the unwary; when I was brought low, he saved me.
Proverbs 2:11  Discretion will protect you, and understanding will guard you.
1 Corinthians 13:7  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

2 comments:

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

I was bullied when I was younger. It hurts my heart, when I hear that someone is bullied as there is no sense in it. :(

Debbie said...

Do you think it's on the rise? During those formative years, having to undergo that fear and and treatment . . .can really affect someone for their whole lives. Thank you for talking about this and helping us to act and to pray!