Monday, January 31, 2011

Batten Down the Hatches!

We are supposed to have fairly severe weather starting tonight about 11 p.m..  Ice and then a lot of snow.  The weather channels are showing that most of Oklahoma will be covered tomorrow morning and most schools will probably be shut down!

This afternoon we are off to get a tag for one of the cars and then to the grocery store to stock up a little just in case...

Bundle up and stay warm!

I love researching where phrases come from~ this was interesting:  Prepare for trouble--batten down the hatches. This term originated in the navy, where it signified preparing for a storm by fastening down canvas over doorways and hatches (openings) with strips of wood called battens. [Late 1800s]

3 comments:

Lea said...

Oh, Peggy, I'm starting the Bible Study, One in a Million also. In fact, I'm going to be the facilitator for the women at our church. We will begin on Feb. 20th. I'm so excited!

That was so funny that you used the term "batten down the hatches." My Dad was in the Navy and he's used that term all my life.

Hope the bad stuff misses ya'll. WE know all about that Ok. weather and we're glad our kids aren't there any more.

Sweet blessings for a great week!

Linda said...

Peggy, your blog has pretty colors...I love purples and taupes.
I enjoy reading your posts.

Here in the Wichita area we may get 3 to 6 inches they say. I hope it isn't too bad...but we do need the moisture.

I hope it won't be too bad for you in Oklahoma. Glad you stocked up at the store just in case. So did we. So now we just Batten Down the Hatches! (:>)

So,... we should just enjoy the time indoors and look out on the snow as a thing of beauty!

Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

Laura said...

Well, batten down the hatches! The snow is supposed to miss us this time. We'll be getting the liquid version. So while you're snowed in, we may be floating! I'll be thinking of you and all those in the way of the hard snow, Peggy. You are in our prayers.