Thursday, December 30, 2010

SAD Anyone?

I have many times thought I had SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) during the winter months.  It really seems to come on after Christmas.  When Christmas is in the air I don't seem to notice the bare trees, the grey skies and shorter days without sunlight.  Afterward it hits me like a ton of bricks.  I'm glaringly aware that it's way too cold, the trees are much too bare and the sunlight is to often not shining..... let alone the days being so much shorter.  My  heart and soul seems to stay dormant and eagerly awaiting the first day of warm weather and springtime!

Does anyone else deal with this?  I don't feel depressed per say... just somewhat gloomy.

Seasonal affective disorder (also called SAD) is a type of depression that occurs at the same time every year. If you're like most people with seasonal affective disorder, your symptoms start in the fall and may continue into the winter months, sapping your energy and making you feel moody. Less often, seasonal affective disorder causes depression in the spring or early summer.

Fall and winter seasonal affective disorder (winter depression)Winter-onset seasonal affective disorder symptoms include:
  • Depression
  • Hopelessness
  • Anxiety
  • Loss of energy
  • Social withdrawal
  • Oversleeping
  • Loss of interest in activities you once enjoyed
  • Appetite changes, especially a craving for foods high in carbohydrates
  • Weight gain
  • Difficulty concentrating and processing information

4 comments:

Linda said...

Well I don't know...but the wind has been blowing for a few days here in Kansas and I never feel good when it blows. It makes me irritable. (:<)

But praise God he moves the weather and the seasons along...and brighter feel good days are just ahead! 9I am going to keep telling myself that)

Let's be like Pollyanna...she could always find something to be glad about!

Peggy Arteberry said...

There were two comments here? I'm not sure where the other one went!

stephanie said...

Hey girl! Thanks for bringing some awareness to SAD, it is a very real thing! Although I am not currently feeling it, I definately have before! I am a sun and fun kind of girl, so the winter is not my thing!

Lea said...

Oh, I definitely think that I have aspects of it. From Christmas through about the end of Jan. is as you said, sort of gloomy.

Blessings to you as a new year dawns!