Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Blind Faith

My daughter and I were watching the Extreme Cowboy Race at Equine Affaire yesterday. Each contestant started off by mounting their horse and running one lap at high speed around the coliseum. A young woman and her Appaloosa, Stormy, were up next. 20-year-old Beka mounted and started her first lap, although instead of running, it was more like a canter. I asked Julie why she was going so slow. A woman behind me must have heard me. She said, "That horse is blind."

I was shocked. How could a blind horse compete in the Extreme Cowboy Race, a contest that challenges even the best horses? Beka and Stormy continued through the course, doing very well at each of the obstacles. Then they came to a series of 3 jumps made of barrels laid on their sides. As they approached, I was wondering, "How in the world is he going to jump those?"

Beka brought him up to the first jump, came nearly to a stop and said, "Up." Without hesitating Stormy jumped straight up. He kind of came down partly on top of one of the barrels, but it was a valiant effort. He made the same courageous and unquestioning attempt at the next two jumps.

At the end of the course, each contestant took a final lap around the coliseum. This time Stormy really moved out, galloping around the arena, totally sightless, guided only by the rider he loved and trusted wholeheartedly. When they crossed the finish line, the whole audience stood and cheered for this wonderful team. I was having a hard time keeping the tears from my eyes, and I don't think I was the only one. What an inspiration these two were!

I have no regrets. I couldn't be more sure of my ground—the One I've trusted in can take care of what he's trusted me to do right to the end.
2 Timothy 1:12 The Message

May our faith in our Master be as unwavering as Stormy's.

Christiancowgirl.net

1 comment:

Linda said...

Beautiful story of faith...Blind faith at that! I saw a movie about a blind horse that could do that...and it was amazing.