Thursday, February 4, 2010
Elizabeth - Women of the Bible
Luke 1: 5-80
Elizabeth was a godly woman. Hear the bible testimony of her character.
"And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless." Luke 1:6
Here was a righteous woman obeying all the commandments of God. She was blameless yet childless. How often have you made the mistake of associating an unanswered prayer in your life to the result of sin or something wrong on your part?
There are various reasons for bareness. In this case it was neither sin nor demonic oppression. It had something to do with the high call of God.
Elizabeth and her husband had dearly longed for a child. They had prayed for one (Luke 1:13) and the culture of the day had demanded they needed one (Luke 1:25).
The years waiting had caused their hope for a child to fade. Zacharias, Elizabeth's husband, was unable to believe the angel when she brought the news that they could have a child (Luke 1:13-18). Do you blame him?
Elizabeth and Zacharias commitment and dedication to God was not based on what he had done (or not done) but on their love for him. They loved the Lord. Many have stopped serving God due to less severe circumstances.
Elizabeth had a vital role to play in the plan of God. If she had 'given up' on God because of her barrenness she would have fortified her "God given role" We may not always understand God but we should never cease trusting him.
Eliabeth's duty in bringing up John the Baptist was a very important one. All mothers are blessed with the privilege of raising young children have a very important ministry. How often this vital ministry has been overlooked.
Some ladies have even been know to get 'angry' with God because they think they have 'wasted' their lives bringing up children while others have been involved in more 'worthwhile ministry' What a mistake.
God kept Elizabeth to bring up John at the right time. He trusted Elizabeth and that's why he gave her John.
What has God trusted you with?
The beauty about the life of Elizabeth is that God used her as a clear picture of Christian ministry. Lets not forget that Elizabeth was probably old enough to be Mary's mother. Yet they both had children at the same time. Elizabeth had her child six months before Mary.
- Age is no hindrance to ministry or God's blessing. Keep loving the Lord out of a pure heart and His will for your life will be fulfilled.
- At Christ's birth two generations were brought together represented by Mary (probably less than twenty years ) and Elizabeth (probably over 60 years). Christ has come to bridge the generation gap. Indeed for any ministry to be truly effect it must span the generations. The children, parents, grandparents and great grandparents all being touched by the move of God.
Thank God for Elizabeth!
Out of her heartbreak, sorrow and unanswered prayer came a woman who brought a blessing.
1. What aspects of Elizabeth's life do you find most challenging?
2. How do you think Zacharias and Elizabeth kept faithful to the Lord during those years of waiting?
3. What other reasons are there for 'unanswered' prayers?
4. If Children are a blessing from the Lord, do you consider bringing up children a God given ministry?
5. Why do you think the angel made Zacharias dumb?